ELECTROMAGNETIC SPECTRUM: Nuclear Weapons, Lasers, Radar, & Microwave
This is a summary of this document
MANY Government agencies- Military, Civilian, & Scientific created this document!
INTRODUCTION – Pgs: 1 to 3
Every one of these aspects IMPACTS EVERY DOMAIN OF WARFARE .
- R. James Woolsey (Former CIA Director) - “The time for research is running out. We have the data we need. IT'S TIME FOR BOLD ACTION.”
- Electromagnetic Spectrum – May be considered a “Super Domain” over other domains of land, sea, air, space, and cyber. It affects all domains...
Significant Findings – Pgs 7 & 8 Immediate actions are required for Gray Zones Electromagnetic Spectrum Threats - An Electromagnetic Pulse is considered a Gray Zone.
- In many respects, deterrence to EMS is similar to cyber space, which is COMPLETELY INEFFECTIVE.
- Issue Area One: Priority One – Pg 9 Nuclear Power Resilience – EMP or GMP If a grid fails, it will take weeks to months to restore. Within Hours – Reactors & Spent Fuel Rods have only 16 hrs of battery power. In US – Has 60 sites & 99 reactors & more than 60,000 metric tons of spent nuclear fuel in POOLS.
- Fukushima provides a compelling case study. Pg 10 Dry cask storage worked - Union of Concerned Scientists.
Pg 11- In US – 75% of fuel rods are in pools. Dry cask storage can reduce storage pool
risk by 75%, but still need to harden reactors & provide at least 7 days
of storage capacity.
NOTE: 60 power plants does not include universities & labs.
- Pg 15 - MILITARY: Most military installations OMIT EMS & GMD from contingency planning. EMS is too broad to plan for.....
- Installation Command Posts – Pg 16 In 2012: A N.Korea commercial ship was intercepted in the Panama Canal. It had a Russian SA-2 inside w a launching system. If such missiles are equipped with a nuclear warhead- could be placed in a shipping container- could shutdown a power grid. There are numerous ways & methods for such a system to be brought into the US.
5G NETWORKS - Page 19 & 20
Mobile advances dictate unique consideration of their Strategic Threat. 5G is a boundary-crossing secure communications advancement w nearly unlimited bandwidth & almost no latency in comparison to 4G. 10 times faster downloads, 100 times faster wireless transfer rates, & 100 times lower latency. China will be spending a half Trillion
$ to be 'first-to-market' goal by 2020. Will spend 10 Trillion $ to create what they call the Digital Silk Road and the One-Belt-One Road Strategy. Access to 5G will be critical to ALL warfare domains, especially in space and will be 'locked up' by competitors in
NOTE: POTUS recently stopped a corporate merger to stop China from getting more 5G Technology.
- Page 20 - Possible Examples: 20 diplomats in Cuba suffered traumatic brain injury while asleep. China had some kind of similar incident.
- Page 23 - Waveform Attacks vs Kinetic Forms – Very hard to determine where attack came from...
- Page 25 - China is working on a QUANTUM PARTICLE kind of communication technology to be in space.
- Page 26 - China was able to communicate between two Quantum Particles – one in space and one on Earth.
RECOMMENDATIONS - Pages 29 & 30
- Today, all elements of society – government & military are subject to dependence on the Electromagnetic Spectrum. It may take months to years to bring them back to their original state.
- MULTIPLE ADVERSARIES are capable of blacking out a state's grid. Traditional Nuclear Deterrence Strategies may not always apply to Electromagnetic Spectrum.
Install grid “fire breaks” including EMP hardened “micro-grids” for life-sustaining
- Recovery At The Local Level – create “Black Start Teams.”
SUMMARY OF NATIONAL LEAD RECOMMENDATIONS - Pgs 30 & 31
Create a Presidential Ex Order regarding EMS similar to the MANHATTEN PROJECT TO DO THE FOLLOWING:
- Create a Presidentially appointed position.
Develop a national level charter for EDTF to support executive agent.
- Protect Nuclear Power Plants.
- Rapidly invest in 5G to compete
- Educate Government and Civil Society.
- All must understand that an EMS attack warning is NOT ASSURED.
- Create resilience for at least 30 days.
- Congressional Engagement.
SUMMARY OF REGIONAL LEVEL RECOMMENDATIONS – Pg 31
- First Priority – Move spent fuel rods to dry cask storage at 60 nuclear power plants.
- SUMMARY OF LOCAL LEVEL RECOMMENDATIONS - Pg 32
- First Priority – Create Hardened “Micro-Grids.”
Pg 40 - Special Note – High Voltage Transformers are all custom built by South Korea and Germany – Average Replacement Lead Time Is 18 MONTHS!